September 8, 2021
My phone rang in the middle of a busy noisy restaurant. It was my doctor’s hospital nurse calling. I stepped outside so I could hear her.
“Pam, the hospital is at 100% capacity with all the Covid patients so we want to give you a choice about having your cardiac elective procedure tomorrow. You can come in at 6 a.m. and if all goes well we will send you home at 4 p.m. If you have a complication, there will be no inpatient bed available. Or you can postpone it until they have less covid patients.”
I silently prayed and asked God to show me what to do. He immediately gave me peace to postpone it. Tami said she thought that was a good decision and they would put me at the top of the list when things settled down.
I texted my two nurse friends who work at the hospital. One said it’s “sheer chaos here” and was glad I wasn’t coming in tomorrow. The other said my risk of catching Covid in the hospital was extremely high and was thankful I postponed it.
My heart goes out to the patients suffering with Covid and the nurses and doctors working under such challenging and exhausting conditions.
Dear Father, Comfort and heal all the patients with Covid right now. Might they look unto You and receive Jesus Christ as their personal Savior. Strengthen and give wisdom to all the staff as they care for them and protect them from Covid. Take away their weariness and give them fresh energy to care for the patients. In Christ’s Name, Amen